As a graphic designer with a strong background in typography, I relish in organizing complicated information. I enjoy applying solid design principles to any project, whether it be physical, digital, or something less easily categorized. I am continually looking for new artistic endeavors, especially those that have a life beyond the screen.
I am currently located in Amesbury, Massachusetts. I spend most of my days indulging my interest in typography, my weekends working with my hands away from my computer, and any time in between seeking design projects that straddle both.
Please feel free to view my complete resume below (or download as a PDF) or drop me a line to discuss anything from collaborative possibilities to potential opportunities to happy thoughts. You can also find me on Instagram and LinkedIn.
Rachel Eeva Design, Designer and Owner; October 2009–Present · full-time since March 2017
– Designs projects from conception through prepress and production and into archiving/DAM
– Comprehensive design work includes website development, stationery design, illustration, and online art shops
– Branding work includes development of logos, style guides, and marketing materials
– Book work includes cover/jacket design; design of fiction, non-fiction, and illustrated interiors; as well as series development
-Teaching experience with MA Provisional Teaching License includes contracts at Somerville High School and Brookline Adult & Community Education
Candlewick Press, Book Designer; May 2009–February 2017 · Other roles include Associate Designer, Design Assistant, and Intern for both Art and Promotion Departments
– Children’s book design spanning all ages and genres, including illustrated picture books and board books; young-adult fiction interiors, jackets, and cases; as well as packaging and other reuse projects
– Managed half of the freelance interior designers and art-directed multiple illustrators for fully illustrated books as well as jacket designs, series work, and maps/diagrams for non-fiction titles
– Excelled at technically complex projects, such as award-winning non-fiction titles requiring archival photography work and extensive back matter development; intricate hand-assembled novelty books; and multiple long-running and best-selling series requiring consistent content, character development, and brand styling
– Collaborated closely with Editors to create the strongest story possible, maintained thorough documentation for Copyeditors and Proofreaders, and improved workflow between Art and Editorial/Proofreading for complicated titles
– Attended color/press checks and continually communicated with Production Controllers regarding print specifications, proper file creation, and efficient use of special effects to ensure high-quality printing
– Promotional design included creating sell sheets, downloadable discussion guides and activity kits, online advertisements, and web banners while working closely with the Marketing and Sales Departments
Handmade For, Artist and Owner; June 2014–December 2018
– Operated artisanal craft business, which sold my handmade, all-natural soaps and other body products in retail stores, regional markets, and online; maintained all inventory, order fulfillment, and customer/retail relationships; and designed and developed all branding, packaging, and web assets
– Milestones included a successful crowdfunding campaign for a new product line that was fully funded within 3 days and finished at 315% of the funding goal
Yale University Class of 2008; New Haven, CT · BA in Studio Art with Distinction, Graphic Design Concentration
Intense study of typography (digital and letterpress), digital photography, and print making; relevant coursework also includes color theory, sculpture, and painting as well as study of repeat pattern textile design using reactive dyes and pigments at Danmarks Designskole in Copenhagen.
Extensive use of the Adobe Creative Suite
Particularly InDesign, Illustrator, and Photoshop, as well as experience with Bridge, Lightroom, and AfterEffects
Web design and development experience
Experience creating laser-cut and 3D-printed art pieces; limited use of SketchUp
Friends of the Amesbury Public Library, Board Member, April 2020–present; Secretary, September 2020–present
Marketing Subcommittee Member focusing on website launch in November 2020
Amesbury Cultural Council, Voting Member; August 2020–present; Co-Chair beginning in January 2021